Sooooo, this morning on my 90's pandora station, this little gem decided to present itself. Now, I can't decide if this makes me extremely ashamed or bursting with pride (going with the latter), but I'm pretty sure my brain did a quick flashback to 1999 and I knew LITERALLY every single word...EVERY. SINGLE. WORD. and for some strange reason I feel pretty confident there's ohhh about 100% of you who can recite each and every line just like I did--and reminisce about belting it out with your summer camp group over and over and over..."with a shape of an L on her forehead!" (unless that's just me..sorry)
There's something to be said about music like this, where it's got that seriously corny overlay but if you actually LISTENED to the lyrics (which I think I did for the first time this morning) there's some real keepers hiding under there. I'd like to point out just a few:
- "Well the years start coming and they don't stop coming. Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running. Didn't make sense not to live for fun."
- "You'll never know if you don't go. You'll never shine if you don't glow."
- "And all that glitters is gold. Only shootin' stars break the mold."
- "The ice we skate is getting pretty thin, the water's getting warm so you might as well swim."
- "I could use a little fuel myself and we could all use a little change."
Take it for what it is. But this is a classic. Smash Mouth makes some great points and it's a shame they only got as far as one hit because the world would be a much better place if we all just sang a little 'All Star' at the top of our lungs and truly believed that that's exactly what we were. :)
sidenote: what's Ben Stiler doing there? Did you realize that?? okay good, I'm not the only one.